Boosting your BI capacity with Snowflake
A key player in the Quebec energy market wanted to modernize their business intelligence infrastructure. By choosing to migrate their data warehouses to Snowflake, our client wanted to benefit from greater adaptability and performance. Simultaneously, we were relieving the infrastructure management and risks inherent in on-premises warehouses (data backup management, vulnerability to cyber attacks, etc.).
Our challenge: making data warehouse migration accessible to our client
The migration process of a data warehouse can be very complex, which is why our client called upon us to accompany them in this significant transition. Our mandate consisted in intervening on:
- The implementation of the target architecture and a roadmap to accompany the customer in this transition.
- Setting up best practices in terms of security on Snowflake.
- DevOps pipelines’ implementation and configuration to ensure the reliability of the data used, while accelerating future developments.
- The migration from A to Z of a first data source as proof of concept, then our client’s support in the migration of all other data sources from 3 different data warehouses.
The key to success: sharing knowledge to empower our client
This kind of change in their infrastructure imply many adaptations. You have to learn new practices and develop new reflexes. By providing appropriate training, we supported our client and enabled them to benefit from their migration fully.
"By migrating a first data source, we were able to demonstrate the sustainability of our solution and our target architecture. We laid a stable foundation and supported our client through training and workshops so that they could do the rest of the migration themselves".
The benefits of migrating to the Cloud:
The benefits of a Cloud data warehouse are numerous for our client:
- Elasticity in the consumption of data so that the performance automatically adapts to demand.
- Invoicing that is clear and based on data storage and usage. In the end, our client only pays for what they use.
- A modern warehouse that will be able to adapt to the company's future needs (near-real-time data, new data sources, etc.).
- Simplified management of the data warehouse, teams no longer have to manage their infrastructures themselves.
- Faster and more reliable development with DevOps.
- Simplified infrastructure management that addresses security and business continuity issues.
- Microsoft SSIS